Teeth whitening homemade toothpaste with coconut and charcoalJune 3, 2018
When preparing our homemade toothpaste, besides being able to give it the flavor we want. We are making sure not to include possible harmful substances for our organism. Did you know that you can prepare your homemade toothpaste at home, with 100% natural ingredients?
If you distrust because you think it will not clean your teeth, we assure you that its components not only clean in depth and fight bacteria. It also has a strong whitening and tartar removal power. Discover in this article how to make this simple homemade toothpaste?
Why is a homemade toothpaste better?
Whenever we produce hygiene and cosmetic products at home, we have the advantage of being able to choose natural and good quality compounds. As well as dispensing with components that could be harmful to our health.
In the case of this kind of toothpaste, most contain several ingredients that have been put on trial for their side effects. Not only because we put them in their mouths, but also because many people swallow some of the toothpaste they use. Especially children:
- Sulfates: Cleansing detergents and foamy substances that are too aggressive for oral flora.
- Triclosan: Related to serious health problems.
- Aspartame (artificial sweetener).
- Fluoride: Although its virtues were promoted for many years, nowadays it is related to neurological and endocrine disorders.
- Mineral oils
The natural dentifrices, increasingly known, are the safe alternative to conventional ones. However, another option is to prepare our homemade toothpaste in a very simple way. With the same beneficial effects for our mouth. These are the two main ingredients of our toothpaste:
Extra virgin coconut oil
The coconut oil extra virgin is a healthy alternative without risk to conventional toothpaste. Because it inhibits the growth of bacteria in the mouth that could produce tooth decay. Check this article https://thecoconutmama.com/charcoal-toothpaste-recipe/
Charcoal or activated carbon
This ingredient, which we can buy in herbalists and pharmacies, is well known as a remedy for poisoning, diarrhea, and flatulence. It can absorb all kinds of harmful and toxic substances in our body.
The charcoal, in spite of being black, is not the same as charcoal, since it is extracted by a specific procedure.
It is excellent for our teeth thanks to the fact that it absorbs and drags everything that accumulates in the teeth and the whole mouth.
In this way, it cleanses our mouth deeply, even combating bad breath and whitening teeth without damaging the enamel.
To prepare this toothpaste, we will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of extra virgin coconut oil (200 g)
- ½ cup charcoal (100 g)
- 5 tablespoons of baking soda fine (50 g)
- 20 drops of mint essential oil for internal use (optional).
The sodium bicarbonate is a good complement to our dentifrice. It contributes to a good cleaning and also balances the oral pH, which is usually too acidic. Peppermint essential oil will give you the good flavor. It is very refreshing and will add anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
How do we do it?
Coconut oil remains solid if it is below 23 ºC. So, we will try to keep this toothpaste in a cool place. It is not too liquid.
To prepare it, we must heat it slightly and to mix it well with the rest of the ingredients:
- We will put the coconut oil in the water bath if it is in a solid state. To achieve a homogeneous mixture with the charcoal and baking soda. If it is already liquid, we can mix everything directly.
- We will add the essential oil at the end, at room temperature to avoid losing its properties. We will mix well again.
- Keep this toothpaste in a container that we can close hermetically. Preferably dark and glass. It is not necessary to keep it in the refrigerator.
A complete oral cleaning
We can use this homemade toothpaste as often as we want since it will allow us to brush our teeth as deeply as any conventional toothpaste. For a complete oral cleaning, we recommend using the thread or floss. It is a specific cleanser for the tongue.
We can also choose to make swish of oil, an amazing natural technique that allows cleansing the mouth in depth while eliminating toxins from the entire digestive tract.
You may also like Mouthwash – what is it for and care for